Auditory and visual cortex: function and staining?

Brian Scott scott at PSYCH.TORONTO.EDU
Wed Nov 9 13:11:53 EST 1994

Well this seems like a sensitive time to ask questions on this newsgroup
unless you've proven that you've already done _extensive_ research.  Well,
I've decided to risk criticism and do both simultaneously.  Before I ask my
question, I'd like to mention that _yes_ I've looked at Medline already but
haven't had much success.  Here goes...l

Does anyone know of any references to studies which have looked for a
correlation between cell function in the visual and auditory corticies
(cortexes?) and staining for specific substances?  I know you're going to
say "There are millions!", but I'm especially interested in any
immunocytochemistry work related to cells with functions like direction
selectivity, edge detection, frequency selectivity, rising or falling FM
sweeps etc...  Other types of staining are appreciated too.  I've seen lots
of work on AChE in Auditory cortex but it looks like it stains all over and
is not located in functionally specific cell types, which is what I'm
looking for.

I've found some references to work done in subcortical areas and
functionally not very specific cells, but nothing exactly like what I'm
looking for.

I'd appreciate specific references or even suggestions for helping to
navigate my Medline searching, as I think I might just not be looking in the
right place.  I thought it would be much easier to find references for work
like this, so maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Thanks for your time and help.

Brian Scott

scott at psych.toronto.edu       | "They are in you and in me; they created us,
Brian Scott                   |  body and mind; and their preservation is
Department of Psychology      |  the ultimate rationale for our existence."
University of Toronto, Canada |         - Richard Dawkins (The Selfish Gene)