discussion on the neuroscience news group

Brian Scott scott at PSYCH.TORONTO.EDU
Wed Nov 9 23:07:04 EST 1994

 >|> Flame me if you will.  One might believe the predictions
 >|> that surfing the net would result in surfer-mentality
 >|> -neuroscience.
 >|>
 >|> yeck!
 >
 >Hear, Hear!! You would think the readers of the group are junior
 >highschoolers in a one room school house the way they ask for references.
 >Dont come to the net asking for references until youve done a thourough
 >search either in the library by hand or using the computer data bases.
 >Thomas

 >*Thomas C. Chimento Ph.D.  Internet: chimento at neuron.arc.nasa.gov  *
 >*NASA, Ames                   Phone: 415-604-0376 (and Voice Mail) *
 >*Biocomputation Center          Fax: 415-604-3954                  *
 >*MS 239-11                                                         *
 >*Moffett Field, CA  94035-1000                                     *
 >*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+**
 >*   My thoughts, only my thoughts, and nothing but my thoughts.    *

Yes sir!  Yes sir!  I'm sorry for being out of line!  [sarcasm]

I've seen so much of this type of flaming of people for asking questions
over the net and this sort of childish response really irks me.  I
remember asking a basic question about gravity and the planets (or
something like that) on what I thought was an appropriate physics
newsgroup and the flaming about how "stupid" I was went on for a week.  I
don't think it was a stupid question and I wasn't sure where to get the
answer.  That newsgroup looked appropriate so I asked my question.

Sure library research is important!  So is direct questioning of the
"experts" and I see absolutely nothing wrong with going to them _first_,
before I spend hours of fruitless searching on a topic I'm not familiar
with.  It makes perfect sense to me to ask those "in the know" first so
that I may be able to carry out my later searching more efficiently, and
perhapse be able to understand all the jargon I'll eventually have to
wade through.

In my opinion, lay-people and students don't ask enough questions as it
is, without having to be discouraged from doing so by this kind of
moronic response.

scott at psych.toronto.edu       | "They are in you and in me; they created us,
Brian Scott                   |  body and mind; and their preservation is
Department of Psychology      |  the ultimate rationale for our existence."
University of Toronto, Canada |         - Richard Dawkins (The Selfish Gene)