Temporal resolution of the brain

x011 at ns2.CC.Lehigh.EDU x011 at ns2.CC.Lehigh.EDU
Thu Nov 10 08:28:18 EST 1994

In article <784318629snz at grithill.demon.co.uk>, rwalker at grithill.demon.co.uk (ro
bin walker) writes:
>As part of an investigation into how the brain records patterns of stimulii
>and responses, it would help to know how accurately the brain can resolve
>temporal events.
>
>To give examples:-
>
>1. If an experienced musician hears a piece of music, how closely can he/she
>follow the tempo of the piece when performing it some short time after
>first hearing it.
>
>Two measures are of interest, a) the temporal error between any two points in
>the piece and b) the cumulative error over the whole piece. Might there be
>intermediate errors that are greater than the cumulative error or does
>the cumulative error generally increase over the duration of the piece?
>
>2. If an experienced musician performs a piece of music with which he/she is
>familiar twice in succession how closely is the the tempo maintained
>between the two performances using the two measures above.
>
>I would be very grateful if anyone could give some pointers to published
>research on this subject or who can otherwise shed some light on the matter.
>
>--
>Robin Walker

This is an interesting question especially in regard to the concept of
time.  Using a song Newton calculated the acceleration of gravity.