discussion on the neuroscience news group

matt spitzer mwspitze at uci.edu
Thu Nov 10 21:15:43 EST 1994

In article <39tig8$lnc at news.arc.nasa.gov>, chimento at ursa.arc.nasa.gov
(Thomas Chimento) wrote:

> |> In my opinion, lay-people and students don't ask enough questions as it
> |> is, without having to be discouraged from doing so by this kind of
> |> moronic response.
> |>

> |> scott at psych.toronto.edu       | "They are in you and in me; they created us,
> |> Brian Scott                   |  body and mind; and their preservation is
> |> Department of Psychology      |  the ultimate rationale for our existence."
> |> University of Toronto, Canada |         - Richard Dawkins (The Selfish Gene)

> I guess I just dont see why a newsgroup dedicated to a topic like
> Neuroscience needs to be a source of the most basic information that is
> available almost anywhere. Perhaps I'm missing the point of the newsgroup,
> but if it's 'charter' is to provide sources for basic information, fine.
> But I expect compter  literate scientists and "pre-scientist" to be able to
> do that on their on own. If they pose basic questions on a subject that is
> new to them and find the terminology confusing, that's fine. I enjoy
> teaching the material in which  I conduct research.
>
> To quote the youngest member of the Fantastic Four, "Flame On!"

I think both sides of this issue have some validity.  The only sentiment
that I don't think is helpful is the last one.  Obviously we are running
into a conflict between the needs of newbies and actual neuroscientists in
this group.  I think that both groups should be able to coexist, and maybe
even interact productively in this newsgroup.  One thing that would go a
long way to easing this conflict is a FAQ.  Thomas Chimento refers to the
charter of this group, but has anyone ever seen such a thing?  I haven't in
the time I've been hanging out here.  For those not familiar with Usenet
groups, a FAQ is a list of frequently asked questions.  I would suggest
that, following the usual introductory items, the first item in the FAQ
should be an orienting statement that would direct newbies to Medline as
the primary source of information on Neuroscience related issues.  What
does everyone think about this?