Monitor NN process in real living creature?

neil banga nabang at vax2.concordia.ca
Fri Nov 11 10:56:28 EST 1994

In article <39u3ot$sok at geraldo.cc.utexas.edu>, twchiang at utxvms.cc.utexas.edu (Tai-Wu Chiang) says:

>     Is there a technique in today's biology that let us
>monitor and record the operations of nerve system in a real
>living creature, like an ant or a mosquito?

Indeed, there are techniques for recording from peripheral sense organs.
Recordings can be made from the antennae, tarsi, and other mouth parts
of many insects. With regards to recording from the CNS, that too is
possible.  Work is being done by a number of people using intracellular
recording techniques in both invertebrates and vertebrates.

>     Can we map the neural network of a mosquito into code and
>implement it into a computer? If the answer is YES, then
>simulation of the behavior of a mosquito may reveal some
>interesting things.

Mapping of nerve endings into the CNS is also being done on many insects.
I know of a couple of profs. doing modelling out there, but I don't think
they have put out anything as of yet, I may be mistaken.

>     Is any one out there can give me more information or reference
>about the topics I mentioned above?
>
>Tai-Wu Chiang
>11/10/94

Hope that helps,