INQ: Compartmental Neuron Models

Michael Hucka hucka at eecs.umich.edu
Thu Nov 17 15:40:03 EST 1994

>>>>> On 17 Nov 1994, herwin at mason1.gmu.edu (HARRY R. ERWIN) wrote:

  herwin> [... text deleted ...]
  herwin> neuronal compartments. I have supercomputer access, but not enough
  herwin> for a detailed simulation. I don't want to use Neuron unless I have
  herwin> to. Can someone point me towards a jump-start?

You don't need a supercomputer to do detailed modeling or to run Neuron.
A fast workstation is adquate.

Another simulator you might want to check into is GENESIS.  It includes a
number of example models, it has the ability to let you write your model at
the level of detail you're interested in, and there's a book coming out that
describes its use.

   GENESIS 1.4.1 (GEneral NEural SImulation System) is a general
   purpose simulation platform which was developed to support the
   simulation of neural systems ranging from complex models of
   single neurons to simulations of large networks made up of more
   abstract neuronal components. Most current GENESIS
   applications involve realistic simulations of biological neural
   systems. Although the software can also model more abstract
   networks, other simulators are more suitable for backpropagation
   and similar connectionist modeling. Available for ftp from
   genesis.cns.caltech.edu [131.215.137.64]. Use 'telnet' to
   genesis.cns.caltech.edu beforehand and login as the user "genesis"
   (no password required).  If you answer all the questions asked of
   you, an 'ftp' account will automatically be created for you. You
   can then 'ftp' back to the machine and download the software.
   Contact: genesis at cns.caltech.edu.
--
   Mike Hucka (michael.hucka at umich.edu)
   University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Mich.