New Research- ischemia

Thomas R. Gregg greggt at brahms.udel.edu
Sun Nov 20 15:33:50 EST 1994

In article <Cz3xGI.606 at festival.ed.ac.uk>,
'Chem Eng Student' <emdu03 at castle.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>Could anyone point me in the direction of what new resaerch there is the
>area of cell death in the case of strokes mainly concernibg the GABA
>receptors and the glutomate receptors? ie the GABA and glutomate
>receptors overload during a stroke....right?
>Thank you.
>Alex
>emdu03 at castle

How new is "new" in ischemia research?

Choi has done work recently in cell culture.  In cell culture, it seems,
surprisingly, that hypoglycemia is more damaging than hypoxia.

Check out Szatkowski & Attwell's 1994 article in TINS about a reversal
of the glutamate reuptake pump.

Some work is going on concerning calpain and heat shock proteins.

Brian Meldrum wrote a review on NMDA and AMPA receptor blockers in the book
"Emerging Strategies of Neuroprotection".  In that book there is also a
review of adenosine-mediated protection (von Lubitz, see also Siesjo) and
a review of clinical trials of nimodipine and other Ca2+ channel blockers.

There has not been much work done on GABA receptors.  Most has to do
with the acute and delayed phases of glutamate excitotoxicity- glutamate
receptors.  Most cells die after blood flow has been re-established to the
stroke area.  See also Pulsinelli.

Tom Gregg
grad student