DA and 5-HT

LARS THOMSEN lars.thomsen at dkb.dk
Sun Nov 20 19:31:00 EST 1994

You mention that you are using the transport response in rats, but what
transport response ?

Our group are investigating the enteric nervous system in pigs, and
we are working on classification of these neurons concerning synaptic
inputs, responses to direct somal depolarizations, agonist/antagonist
receptor interactions and immunohistochemistry. And we are as well
investigating the agonist/antagonist receptor interactions by measuring
changes in the netto transepithelial transport of ions across the
small intestine.

Results made in our lab shows (not surprisingly) that there are major
differences between the enteric nervous system in rats and in pigs. And
therefore it is very important which species you are getting information
from. We have done a lot of work on both rats and pigs, and drugs
working as agonist in the rat turns out to be antagonist in the pig,
when looking at the transepithelial transport (which is not a direct
measurement of receptor interactions).

When we are dealing with direct electrophysiological measurements of
neurons from e.g. guineapigs compared with pigs, again we finds major
differences (even in the basic features of the neurons)

We haven't looked at 5HT and DA interaction, but we have made a lot of
work with 5HT and 5HT agonist/antagonists. So what I am trying to
tell you is : that it matters very much what species you are
investigating and what transport you are looking at.

 * RM 1.3  * Eval Day 31 * RoboMail -- The ultimate QWK compatible message manager.