NO and epilepsy

Jim Cheetham cheethj at ROCKVAX.ROCKEFELLER.EDU
Tue Nov 22 11:42:42 EST 1994

>        In my current research I have an interest in the role of nitric
>oxide in epilepsy.  My survey of the literature on NO and epilepsy shows that
>>at this time there is still much disagreement about the role of NO in
>the epileptogenic mechanism. While some papers suggest that NO is an
>endogenous anticonvulsant, others suggest that NO inhibitors act in
>an anticonvulsant manner

>Brad Jacobs [brad at chem.queensu.ca]

        I recently saw a poster at the Neuroscience meeting in Miami that
suggested that NO could act presynaptically to reduce neurotransmitter
release, however, the molecular mechanism was not clear.  During ishemia,
one of the major events is massive release of neurotransmitter.  Perhaps NO
could play a positive role in reducing ishemic damage by reducing
neurotransmitter release.  Just a thought.

James J. Cheetham, Ph.D.
Laboratory of Molecular and Cellular Neuroscience
The Rockefeller University
1230 York Ave
New York, NY 10021
USA