Need advice on focal extracellular stimulation.

Trent A. Basarsky TAB at iastate.edu
Tue Nov 22 21:28:30 EST 1994

Hello,

As the title suggests, I am trying to focally stimulate 1-2 neurons in low to
moderate density hippocampal cultures.

I am interested in any information regarding the types of electrodes that
people use for this approach, and who the suppliers are.

I have tried a number of approaches such as theta tubing, patch pipettes and
agarose bridges in a patch pipette, but I am running into movement artifacts.
I keep getting fluid flow out of the pipettes when I stimulate ( I am using a
GrassS48 stimulator at high voltage (75-150 V)).  This fluid flow is causing a
biological artifact that I need to get rid of.  Even in the agarose bridge I
see the same phenomenon of fluid flow.  (The agarose bridge is type 7, 2-5%
in either distilled water (this was one reccomendation) or in normal saline.)

Any and all info greatly appreciated.  Please reply by E-MAIL.

Thank you
Trent

Trent A. Basarsky			tab at iastate.edu
Department of Zoology & Genetics