Advice Req'd from VERP Researchers

Kevin Spencer kspencer at iti.org
Fri Nov 25 18:26:33 EST 1994

psrbi at csv.warwick.ac.uk (Paul Castle) writes:

>Can anyone out there who is investigating Visual Event-Related Potentials,
>give me any advice regarding stimulus presentation.

>I wish to present subjects with approximately twelve slides/photographic
>images. It is not possible to do this with standard slide projectors as the
>shutter speed is too slow.

[deleted]

>2) to present computer-generated images, in which case, how do I overcome
>the
>   fact that the "image-construction time" will probably exceed 300 msec(or
>so I
>   have been told).

>If anyone can shed some light on my dilemma, I would be eternally grateful!

"image-construction time" depends on several factors, such as whether or
not the stimuli are in color, how many colors, how many pixels, the quality
of the video card, the amount of video RAM, the size of the stimulus files,
the format of the files, the amount of RAM on the computer, the hard disk
access time, and the programming techniques you use.  Assuming your files
aren't humongous, with decent hardware and software, you should be able to
beat 300 ms quite easily.

Kevin