caudle at caudle at
Mon Nov 28 11:02:27 EST 1994

On 16 Nov 1994 16:18:30 GMT,
Dominic Petrossi  <petrosd at> wrote:

>	Does anyone have information and/or possible sources for the role
>of NO in LTP?  Sources would be greatly appreciated as the door is
>beginning to open on this fascinating retrograde messenger and its obvious
>role in memory.
>	Dominic William Petrossi
>	e-mail:  petrosd at
>				Thank you.

The role of NO in LTP is anything but "obvious".  A recent study of LTP in
knockout mice lacking neuronal NOS demonstrated that LTP could still be
induced with no more effort than in normal animals.  Interestingly, the LTP
could still be inhibited by antagonists to NOS.  These drugs are not
terribly selective, however. (Science 265:542-546, 1994).
Robert M. Caudle                                      "If I had my life to
NAB, NIDR, NIH                                         live over, I'd be a
Bldg. 49, Rm 1A-11                                     plumber."
9000 Rockville Pike                                        A. Einstein
Bethesda, MD 20892

Caudle at
Caudle at