Keeping slices alive and kicking

Heinz Beck heinz at jersey.meb.uni-bonn.de
Tue Nov 29 11:54:09 EST 1994

I once heard from a friend, who had heard from a friend etc. that there is
a method for keeping brain slices of hippocampus or cortex alive for a long
time i.e. about 24 hours. My understanding was this was achieved by substi-
tuting sachharose for sodium in the extracellular solution during the pre-
paration but I could not locate an exact source of information or a protocol
up to now. Anyone have information or protocols about long-term maintenance
of brain tissue slices in vitro?

We have been doing our preparations with a vibratome and cold  high Magnesium -
Low Calcium ringer. Storage was submerged in standard ACSF at room temparature.
Measurements were done using a Haas-type interface chamber. This has kept our
slices viable for about 12 hours.

As we are beginning to work on human tissue now, I have been thinking about
adding some sort of free radical scavenger enzyme to the preparation ringer
to possibly lighten the effects of ischemia during explantation of the tissue.
Has anyone tried doing this in animal preparations?

Thanks
Heinz