Stereology & disector

Mr Adrian Lloyd Williams smgxalw at ucl.ac.uk
Tue Nov 29 06:13:14 EST 1994

Is anyone out there experienced in the "art" of stereology ??
I want to count cells in very young ferret LGN and thought of using the disector.
I'm not entirely clear on a few things though. In particular, I'm not sure what the
height of my disector frame should be. Given that the diameter of some cells in the
nucleus range between 4 and 7 microns, would it be valid for me to use an optical
disector of just a few microns (say 2 or 3) ??

Alternatively, would it simply be easier for me to count cells manually in say 10 micron
thick sections, where I only include those where the nucleolus is clearly visible ??

Any thoughts on this greatly appreciated.

Adrian.