Postnatal brain development

MedMult medmult at aol.com
Tue Nov 29 21:40:06 EST 1994

In article <mdcox.783806235 at wadsworth>, mdcox at news.wadsworth.org (Margaret
Davis-Cox) writes:

What is the difference between a male rat brain and a female rat brain
during
the first two postnatal weeks?  Are there hormonal differences that induce

different developmental programs?  I am particularly interested in any
information on gender differences in the development of the limbic and
motor systems.

One important difference is in the levels of serotonin present in the
brain during this period of development. During postnatal days 10-12,
females experience a transient surge in serotonin levels that is not seen
in male rats. In my laboratory, we are investigating the effects of
cocaine on brain development during the early and late postnatal periods
as well as the effects on prenatal brain development. We have repeatedly
found differences in cerebral glucose metabolism as well as
neurotransmitter receptor numbers in males and females exposed to cocaine
during these periods of development. I'd have to dig up the serotonin
references if you are interested?

Glen Frick
Department of pharmacology
SUNY-Health Science Center at Brooklyn