DRAFT FAQ

matt spitzer mwspitze at uci.edu
Wed Nov 30 20:45:07 EST 1994

Here it is folks, the first draft of the Bionet.Neuroscience FAQ.  In
creating this a-here FAQ I was aided tremendously by the following
individuals who gave generously of their time and wisdom:  Dan Fain, John
Lazzaro, Mark Whitnall and Tim Skellett who provided the lengthy Medline
section.  I pretty much just pasted together what they sent me with minimal
editing.

     This is NOT intended to be the final FAQ.  I am presenting this draft
to solicit comments and further contributions.  Certain deficiencies I am
already aware of, and would like help with include:

1.  FAQ # 3:  References to Neuroscience training programs outside of North
America are needed

2.  Section III.  Does anyone know of a currently accesible site where one
can obtain a copy of Una Smith's "Internet resources for biologists"?  The
ftp addresses that Dave and I had no longer seem to work.

3.  There HAVE to be more than 4 frequently asked questions.  These were
the only ones I could think of.

4.  Section III seems to be a little thin.  Contributions would be much
appreciated.

Any other comments, criticisms, or contributions would be greatly
appreciated.

So without further ado...

********DRAFT FAQ********DRAFT FAQ*********DRAFT FAQ*********DRAFT
FAQ*******

FAQ Contents:

I.  Introduction

II. Answers to the most frequently asked questions on bionet.neuroscience

     1.  Who is welcome on bionet.neuroscience?
     2.  Does anyone know of any references on _________?
         (answer is long and contains many parts)
     3.  Where can I get information on Graduate programs in Neuroscience?
     4.  Where can I get information about X (where X is a neurological

									disorder or neuro-degenerative disease)?

III.Other Neuroscience-related resources on the internet

I.  Introduction

     Welcome to the usenet group bionet.neuroscience.
This group has been created for the exchange of scientific
ideas under a multi-disciplinary rubric of neuroscience and
will necessarily reflect the diversity that is now inherent
in the field. The group, while welcoming and encouraging the
participation of computer scientists, will not focus on
artificial neural networks, as there are newsgroups already
on the Usenet dedicated to this and related topics. Rather,
scientists such as physiologists, computational
neuroscientists, molecular biologists, and behavioral
scientists will be encouraged to interact through this
medium to discuss the function, evolution, and structure of
biologic nervous systems. Bionet.neuroscience will also be
the place for researchers to sound out novel theories and to
facilitate collaborations. Discussions of new papers and
abstracts will be appropriate.

     Please, before posting messages make sure you are aware
of basic netiquette.  Flame wars are innapropriate

II. Answers to the most Frequently Asked Questions on bionet.neuroscience

1.  Who is welcome on bionet.neuroscience?

     Anyone with an interest in neuroscience.

2.  Does anyone know of any references on _________?

     Questions of this sort are best addressed by searching the Medline
database.  Medline is a database that references most of the biomedical
literature, covering the period from 1966 to the present.  It is available
at most US Universities and through the National Library of Medicine.
Detailed instructions for getting access to Medline follow (various
contributors cited in text):

A) SUMMARY: Access to Medline et al over the Internet

Since the early 1970's, the National Library of Medicine (NLM) has made
searching the biomedical literature faster and easier by providing
online information retrieval on the MEDLARS, (MEDical Literature
Analysis and Retrieval System) family of databases.  MEDLINE - NLM's
premier database - has over 7 million citations to biomedical articles
and is searched more than eighteen thousand times a day.

In order to make searching even easier and provide a user-friendly way
to use the MEDLARS system, NLM, in 1986, developed a software package
called Grateful Med.  The simplicity and efficiency of searching with
Grateful Med have made it immensely popular -more than 50,000 copies of
the software have been sold since its introduction." (You can also
access Medline through commerical services like PaperChase, etc- more
costly).

Step 1:  Get a user ID/password.  You can call the National Technical
Information Service at 1-800-423-9255 for info.  Or, be a cyberstud and
get the application form 'userid.txt' by anonymous ftp from
nlmpubs.nlm.nih.gov in the directory /online/medlars.

Step 2: Decide whether to use a front end (Grateful Med) or to learn
how to communicate directly with MEDLINE (HINT: pick door #1). Download it
from the same server above (check through the /grateful>directory for the
files you need) or order it from NTIS (see Step 1, or
get the order form 'gmorder.txt' in the directory /online/medlars).
It's $30 or so the latter way.

Step 3: If you decide against using Grateful Med, you can access
MEDLINE through programs like Telnet at medlars.nlm.nih.gov.  You'll
need an ID/password.  You can also access MEDLINE through commercial
services such as PaperChase (Telnet to pch.bih.harvard.edu, enter
pch,signup when it asks for password)

$$$: NTIS charges for access; I seem to pay about a dollar a search.
Commercial services will be more expensive.
------------------
Greg Froehlich, MD
White River Junction, VT

B.) You can access MEDLINE via NIH gopher server or WEB server, but you
need
to have a pre-established account. It is not free, and you need a password
to get into the system.
-----------------
Edward M. Druy, MD
Department of Radiology
George Washington University

C.)  Im pretty sure, that you will NOT be able to get medline on the
internet for free.  We (the university of Copenhagen) have estabished a
medline service on network (actually an internet connected system), but we
have to pay licenses
to both the software manufacturer (CDPlus) and National library of
medicine.
Therefore I doubt that this service can be *free*.

Anders Nattestad

D.)  The Medlars server is at medlars.nlm.nih.gov.  If you need an account
(using it does cost money) you need to contact the Medlars service desk at
mms at nlm.nih.gov or gmhelp at gmedserv.nom.nih.gov.

-----------------
Elizabeth Richards

E.)  THE LAST WORD

I am quite willing to make Medline searches for people, subject to the
following conditions:
i.    That requests are made personally to me
ii.   That requests are reasonably short
iii.  That it is understood that I have access only to MEDLINE EXPRESS,
   which means I can only get two lines of the abstract
   (I find this also incredibly frustrating and behindering; I would
   like to make the general request here:  If anyone who has access to
   MEDLINE, with full abstracts, can download a few searches for me, I
   will reciprocate by sending software, info, or whatever is desired and
   possible etc...)
iv.) That it is understood that replies may take up to a week.

------------------
Tim Skellett
skellett at ling.uni-duesseldorf.de

3.  Where can I get information on Graduate programs in Neuroscience?

The Society for Neuroscience publishes a book entitled "Neuroscience
Training Programs in North America".  To order a copy contact:

The Society for Neuroscience
11 Dupont Circle, N.W., Suite 500
Washington, DC  20036
(202) 462-6688

4.  Where can I get information about X (where X is a neurological disorder
or neuro-degenerative disease)?

multiple sclerosis:
==================
alt.support.mult-sclerosis
available via e-mail at listserv at technion.bitnet; write "SUBSCRIBE
<your full name> MSLIST-L"

amyotrophic lateral sclerosis:
=============================
available via e-mail; bro at huey.met.fsu.edu "subscribe ALS DIGEST"

geriatric neuropsychiatry [including Alzheimer's]:
=========================
majordomo at avocado.pc.helsinki.fi
"subscribe geriatric-neuropsychiatry" or
"info geriatric-neuropsychiatry"

alzheimer's disease research, american health assistance foundation

free info [USA]+800.437.2423

Neuron digest.  Includes job and conference announcements, and lots of
mail traffic:  neuron-request at cattell.psych.upenn.edu

B.  FTP sites:

The NEUROPROSE ftp archive.  Contains lots of neural net work:
file://archive.cis.ohio-state.edu/pub/neuropros

C.  Some WWW pages:

Home page for the center for the neural basis of cognition
at CMU:
http://www.cs.cmu.edu:8001/afs/cs.cmu.edu/project/cnbc/CNBC.html

University of Michigan Neuroscience Meta-Index ("Neuroscience Internet
Resource Guide"):
http://httpd2.sils.umich.edu/Public/nirg/nirg1.html

Harvard University Biological Labs:
http://golgi.harvard.edu/genome.html

Cornell Theory Center, e.g., 3D modeling of acetylcholinesterase molecule:
http://www.tc.cornell.edu

Electronic Visualization Laboratory at Univ of Illinois:
http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/EVL/docs/html/homePage.html

WWW Virtual Library: Biosciences:
http://golgi.harvard.edu/biopages.html

U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services:
http://www.os.dhhs.gov/

D.  Other

Online version of _Brain and Behavioral Sciences_, as well as the
closely related electronic journal _Psycoloquy_:
http://www.princeton.edu/~harnad/