B complex Megadose

Anthony Campbell acampbell at achc.demon.co.uk
Sun Oct 2 03:48:41 EST 1994

In article <36jppb$rb1 at usenet.rpi.edu> ryacht at stu.rpi.edu writes...

>Can harm be done to the CNS by taking megadoses of B complex vitmains?
>I'm talking about taking 6 or 7 B-100 capsules, which contain at least 100mg
>of each B vitamin, plus some choline and other factors.

Yes, it is is certainly possible to cause neurological damage by taking
excessive doses of vitamin B complex. Incidentally it may also be undesirable
to take "megadoses" of vitamin C, especially for the elderly or sick, since
such people may have large iron stores and these interact with vitamin C to
generate free radicals and thus increase oxidative damage. ("Nothing too much",
as the Classic Greek saying has it...)

Anthony
Anthony Campbell                                        London UK
email: acampbell at achc.demon.co.uk or acampbell at cix.compulink.co.uk