Electronics of Neuroscience

caudle at irp.nidr.nih.gov caudle at irp.nidr.nih.gov
Thu Oct 6 17:35:51 EST 1994

On 30 Sep 1994 18:05:07 GMT,
Brandon Lewis  <lewis at guinness.inslab.uky.edu> wrote:

>	I am an electrical engineering sophomor at the Uiversity of
>Kentucky.  Through my psychology classes, I have learned a small amount
>about neuron cells and the way they work.  I have become interested in the
>electrical nature of neurons and this has raised some questions for me.
>Is there any need for electrical engineers in conducting research on
>neurons?  Like I mentioned, I learned about nerve cells in my intro Psych.
>class so may ingnorance may show.  I would greatly appreciate any
>information on the subject.
>	Thank  You
>
>Brandon Lewis <lewis at inslab.uky.edu>

Yes, electrical engineers are becoming extremily valuable in the
neuroscience community.  Not only do they design and construct instruments
for measuring voltages and currents in neuronal cells and networks, but
they are beginning to use information collected by physiologists to
construct artificial neurons and neural nets.  These artificial systems are
rapidly becoming objects of research in their own right.  If you are
interested in exploring neuroscience try spending a summer in a research
lab.  The National Institutes of Health has a summer intern program for
undergrads that is designed to allow the intern to explore research in
various fields before they have committed themselves to graduate school.
To find out more about the internship program call the Office of Education
at (301) 496-2427

Good Luck
R. Caudle, Ph.D.