Trigeminal Neuralgia

Duke Groebe drg at prophet.pharm.pitt.edu
Thu Oct 6 07:50:16 EST 1994

 In article <evanoffm.1.007E7ECB at access.mountain.net>,
> evanoffm at access.mountain.net (Mike Evanoff) wrote:
> >
> > I am seeking information on correcting the problem of Trigeminal Neuralgia for
> > my mother, she is 50 years old.  She is taking tegratol, but this doesn't seem
> > to be helping.
>
> Surgery is another option but has its complications (partial deafness).
> There are a couple of surgeons here at Pitt's medical center who do the
> surgery (one is the top-dog in it) but I forget their names.  You can look
> into it, however, by contacting the surgery department here.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Duke

After a little looking around:

Zostrix can also be used as a treatment but it is a ointment that contains
capsaisin (sp?), the active ingredient in hot chili peppers.  To make
matters worse, it is applied to the nasal region.  It's not a cure and not
pleasant by any means.

One of the surgeons I referred to in my earlier post is Dr. Peter Jannetta,
Chair of the Department of Neurological Surgery (412-647-0991) here at
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.

I'm no doctor and I don't even play one on TV.  Your mom should consult the
appropriate physicians to whom she has access and make a carefully informed
decision.

Good luck,

Duke

The opinions expressed here are my own.  MY very own and NOBODY else's!  I
THOUGHT OF THEM FIRST, HA HA, AND YOU DIDN'T!!  SEE!?  There's my name up
there!  And the date - Ooohh, the DATE!  That's important!  HEE HEE, I'M
GONNA BE RICH!  DO YOU HEAR ME!?  RICH!!  HA HA!!  They're mine...heh, heh,
all mine....  GOD!  I'm so smart!