grad school advice?

Christopher A Baker cabaker at
Fri Oct 14 15:14:41 EST 1994

yangas1 at wrote:
: 	For anyone who can help:

: I am a graduating senior from Juniata College in PA and am interested
: in applying to graduate school in neurobiology.  I am at this point not
: specific to the exact study or research I want to take, although my
: background is more molecular directed (chemistry/biology major) I am also
: interested in integrative aspects.  My interests lie especialy in the
: neurobiology of the brain and sensory processes.  I would appreciate any
: insight or information people may have on graduate programs, contacts,
: etc.  Thanks for your help,
: 				Andrew Yang

Our Interdepartmental Neuroscience Program emphasizes interdisciplinary
training and offers a great deal of research avenues in the neurosciences
and other biomedical sciences here at Yale.  Laboratory rotations and
thesis projects can be conducted with any of 80+ faculty from departments
of: Anesthesiology, Cell Biology, Cellular & Molecular Physiology,
Otolarynology, Neurobiology, Pharmacology, Genetics, Biology, Psychiatry,
Immunology, Neurology, Psychology,  At the risk of sounding like a
public relations person, I chose a program like this because of the
opportunities to work in several different biomedical departments that
have different foci in their approaches to the study of neuroscience.

Only 6 courses must be taken in the program: 3 are predetermined
requirements, and 3 are to be chosen by the student.  Coursework is
completed by the end of the second year, when full-time thesis work
commences.  Note that Yale (and some other schools) have an
interdepartmental PROGRAM as well as a Neurobiology DEPARTMENT; both
departments and interdepartmental programs have their own advantages and
disadvantages that will become apparent as you read through the
literature and talk to people on interviews...

I also believe that some institutions have developed separate programs in
sensory/cognitive neurosciences; one that immediately comes to mind is a
Sensory Science program operated jointly between the University of
Pittsburgh and Carnegie Mellon University.  I can't get you the address
of that program, but you can write for Yale information at:

Interdepartmental Neuroscience Program
Room L-200 SHM
Yale University School of Medicine
333 Cedar Street