spreading of action potentials

Kevin N Gurney hssrkng at brunel.ac.uk
Fri Oct 14 04:47:22 EST 1994

I am *not* a neuroscientist so I apologise if my questions appears
naieve.

I have recently started to investigate the dynamics of action-potential
production and have used the 'Neurokit' script-set in the Genesis
simulator to help my understanding. The most significant thing I
noticed was that the action potential, as well as propagating along the
axon, also propagates over the soma and dendritic tree. In the latter
case I presume this is done electrotonically. There appears to be no
mention of this kind of propagation in the usual text - One gets the
idea that action potential spikes propagate along axons alone.

My first question is:
Is this behaviour an artifact of the simulator or is it `real'?

Since neural membranes are continuous I suspect that it is veridical.

If so, then does not the altered membrane potential on dendrites (due
to spiking at the axon hillock) affect the production of PSPs on
transmitter binding?

thanks

Kevin Gurney
Dept. Human Sciences, Brunel University, Uxbridge, Middx., UK

Tel: 	0895 274000 X2770 (or 2742).        Fax: 0895  237573
email:	Kevin.Gurney at brunel.ac.uk
WWW home page:  http://www2.brunel.ac.uk:8080/~hssrkng/