Basic reference for auditory cortex

matt spitzer mwspitze at uci.edu
Wed Oct 19 19:06:01 EST 1994

In article <383hhk$q0 at muller.loria.fr>, durand at loria.fr (Stephane Durand)
wrote:

> Does anybody know good basic books or articles concerning
> the auditory cortex?
> Especially, I would like to get information about auditory
> maps and their connectivity, from frequencies analyzer (cochlea)
> to phoneme area, word area, ... (if these areas have been shown !).
>
> Thank for your help.
>

> Stephane Durand

Two good introductory texts to get you started are:

The Mammalian Auditory Pathway:  Neurophysiology.  Popper and Fay, eds.
and
The Mammalian Auditory Pathway:  Neuroanatomy.  Webster, Popper and Fay,
eds.

Both are part of the Springer Handbook of Auditory Research, Springer
Verlag.  Unfortunately, for obvious reasons, there is much better
information on the connections of auditory cortex in cat, than in human.
So far, no "word" or "phoneme" area has been identified.  Exactly what
would be your criteria for idenitifying such areas, and what evidence would
lead you to suspect that such areas exist?