LTP and excitotoxicity

C. FREDERICK LO fredlo at welchlink.welch.jhu.edu
Thu Oct 20 12:33:48 EST 1994

To my understanding, LTP may not be the mechanism of memory.  It is just
that LTP can be observed in the hippocampus, where memory is thought to
be stored.  Also, LTP is an example of a long term enhancement of
synaptic transmission.  The general reviews I have read about LTP and
memory is that drugs that block LTP can affect certain memory-related
tasks in rat or mice.  And that may strengthen the connection between LTP
and memory, although the evidence is not sufficient to prove that LTP is
the mechanism responsible for memory.

-- Fred