question: cingulate gyrus function

Bill Skaggs bill at nsma.arizona.edu
Mon Oct 24 12:14:37 EST 1994

dbaldwin at decoy.uoregon.edu (David Baldwin (503-686-2598)) writes:

   I've become interested in the cingulate gyrus, and what it does.
   Any current general references or authors covering this area would
   be helpful, though I would be most interested in its connections
   (if any) with parts of the limbic system and emotional/somatic
   areas.

   Rummaging around in my usual sources, I've found relatively brief
   mention, if that, about this area.  Not sure if this means I'm
   looking in all the wrong places, or that nobody knows much about
   it...

Actually there is quite a substantial literature on the cingulate
cortex, and a MedLine search on "cingulate" would surely give you
enough to get started.  In fact, there was a 637 page book published
last year called "Neurobiology of the Cingulate Cortex and Limbic
Thalamus: A Comprehensive Handbook", eds B. A. Vogt and M. Gabriel,
Birkh\"{a}user, Boston 1993.  Unfortunately it touches only very
lightly on what I regard as some of the most interesting aspects, but
it does give a decent overview and a lot of pointers to the
literature.

	-- Bill