List of Neuroscience Grad Schools

Kris Hood khood at wccf.mit.edu
Tue Oct 25 09:40:00 EST 1994

For all of those asking for information about Graduate Programs in the
Neurosciences, here is a previously posted list of the top schools with
additions from others bionet.neuroscience subscribers:

>: > Here are some of the best Neuroscience programs to consider:
>: >
>: > (not in any order)
>: >
>: > UCLA Interdisciplinary Neuroscience
>: > UCSD Interdisciplinary Neuroscience
>: > UCSF Neuroscience
>: > Berkeley Neuroscience
>: > Duke
>: > Michigan
>: > Northwestern
>: > Washington University (St. Louis)
>: > University of Washington (Washington)
>: > Cornell
>: > Columbia
>: > NYU (Neural Science program)
>: > USC Neuroscience
>: > Purdue Neuroscience
>: > Stanford
>: > MIT
>: > Boston University
>: >
>: >
>: > Many others. (Anyone who feels slighted, add your university here)

The University of Minnesota, Minneapolis/St. Paul has an excellent
interdisciplinary Neuroscience program with a very diverse faculty and an
enjoyable quality of life.
I would like to add Emory University. We have a very broad program here,
meaning you can do almost anything from molecular neurobiology to
behavioral neurobiology. We have something like 60 faculty associated with
our graduate Neuroscience program. The students that come here form a very
closeknit group and faculty-student relations are very good and informal.
Let me add Oregon Health Sciences University.  Our Neuroscience Program
includes more than 70 faculty at OHSU (School of Medicine, Vollum Institute,
and School of Dentistry) and its nearby affiliated institutions (the VA
hospital, R.S. Dow Neurological Sciences Institute, and the Oregon Regional
Primate Research Center).  The program is extremely diverse with divisions
into molecular, systems, cellular, developmental, and behavioral research.
Needless to say, quality of life in Oregon is outstanding and still
affordable.
Washington University in St. Louis has a program in
Philosophy/Neuroscience/Psychology, run mostly by the Philosophy
department.  There is a monthly discussion group plus a seminar series
devoted to questions which cross the boundaries of these areas.  Combined
with the strong MD/PhD and straight PhD programs offered here, it's
probably worth considering. Audrey Ettinger, Neuroscience Program
The University of Illinois at C/U has a very large (90 professor)
Neuroscience Program. The Psychology Dept. also has a Biopsychology
Program. The stress of this school in Neuroscience is Cognitive and
Behavioral, over the Molecular which has dominated many institutions. If
you are interested, call Dr. Lloyd Barr (Neuroscience Program head) at
217-333-7423. I am not sure who the head of the Biopsych Dept. is, but
the Psych number is 217-333-3429.
 For cognitive neuroscience in general, you have to consider Washington
University, perhaps the biggest, most diverse program in the world.  Also, UC
Davis, UCSD, and NYU, Johns Hopkins, U Penn and MIT.
Our Interdepartmental Neuroscience Program emphasizes interdisciplinary
training and offers a great deal of research avenues in the neurosciences
and other biomedical sciences here at Yale.  Laboratory rotations and
thesis projects can be conducted with any of 80+ faculty from departments
of: Anesthesiology, Cell Biology, Cellular & Molecular Physiology,
Otolarynology, Neurobiology, Pharmacology, Genetics, Biology, Psychiatry,
Immunology, Neurology, Psychology, et.al.
I also believe that some institutions have developed separate programs in
sensory/cognitive neurosciences; one that immediately comes to mind is a
Sensory Science program operated jointly between the University of
Pittsburgh and Carnegie Mellon University.