c-fos + anesthesia = ?

Jaimie Polson jaimiep at cortex.physiol.su.oz.au
Tue Oct 25 07:51:58 EST 1994

In <38hfmd$ovj at matt.ksu.ksu.edu> mlweiss at ksu.ksu.edu (Mark Louis S Weiss) writes:

>I was wondering if anyone can suggest an anesthetic which produces low c-fos background labeling.  I have tried equithesin and urethane, both produce relatively high background labeling in hypothalamus.  Any bright ideas for long term anesthesia?  Thanks in advance.

>Mark Weiss

I think that if it is at all possible then it is better not to use cfos
experiments with anaesthesia (although I appreciate that this may be
impossible.) There is a recent publication in Neuroscience Letters that
addresses this issue - Below is the current contents listing. However, a
major consideration that this article does not take into account is the
possible supression of Fos activity in neurons by different anaesthetics,.
An honours student did a project on this last year, looking at urethane,
pentobarbitone, and a-chloralose. Briefly, the conclusions were that
none of the anaesthetics were ideal. Urethane caused too much background
Fos activity, and pentobarbitone and a-chloralose inhibited fos expression
due to the specific stimulus ( in this case an induced hypertensive stimulus.)

If you find a suitable anaesthetic, please let me know.
Below find  reference  to aneasthesia and Fos.
best wishes,
	Jaimie Polson

TI  The comparison of effects of various anesthetics on expression of fos
    protein in the rat brain

AU  K. Takayama, T. Suzuki, M. Miura
SO  Neurosci. Lett. 176: 59-62
DA  1994
KE  5935 English Article PA377 Neurosciences & Behavior JUL 18 0304-3940 c-fos
    anesthesia urethane alpha-chloralose pentobarbital sodium halothane fentanyl
    midazolam c-fos stimulation

AD  Dr M Miura
    Gunma Univ, Sch Med
    Dept Physiol, Div 1
    3-39-22 Showa Machi, Maebashi
    Gumma 371, Japan

The purpose of this study was to compare effects of various anesthetic drugs on
expression of Fos protein in the supraspinal neurons of rats. Optimum anesthesia
was maintained under monitoring of EEG. Degree of Fos expression was evaluated
by counts of Fos-immunoreactive (ir) neurons. Urethane induced the largest
amount of Fos-ir neurons (n = 8439), while fentanylimidazolam the smallest (n =
112), alpha-Chloralose, halothane, pentobarbital sodium and
urethane/alpha-chloralose induced amounts in between. The results indicate that
fentanyl/midazoIam is the most recommendable anesthetic drug in the Fos
expression study.