equipotentiality

doug doug
Tue Oct 25 22:20:52 EST 1994

In article  <38g71h$924 at lyra.csx.cam.ac.uk> Jaap.Murre at mrc-apu.cam.ac.uk
(Jaap Murre) writes:

> We are in the process of finishing two papers on quantitative >
neuroanatomy. One
> of our predictions is relatively high equipotentiality of mouse and >
rat cortex.
> The only reference to this is the admittedly classic work of Lashley.
> Is anyone
> aware of more recent work in this area. Any pointers to the literature
> much
> appreciated.
>
>         -- Jaap Murre

Could you please define "equipotentiality"?  If you mean any part of
cortex is much like any other part (not exactly, of course) I think you
are exactly right and as I understand it this is the dominant thinking
in the field.  That is, the structure of the cortex is much the same
everywhere (see Rockel et al, 1980 Brain 103:221-244 for example).  A
major exception is the primate visual cortex which has twice the neurons
per unit of pial surface as most other areas, not to mention the various
oddities like blobs, etc.  Paradoxically, the most studied cortical area
may also be the most unique, and therefore the poorest model for
cortical structure and function in other species and areas!