Looking for good into neuro text

Ashish L. Ranpura aranpura at minerva.cis.yale.edu
Thu Oct 27 15:59:58 EST 1994

In article <1994Oct26.182325.28439 at lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu>, Sean
Sullivan wrote:

:Hi everybody,
:
:I was wondering if someone could recommend an excellent introductory
:neuroscience text.  I am looking for something that gives a clear
:foundation of the basics, but also gives the reader a more in depth
:exposition of the field as well.  Particularly, I would be interested in
:any text that has frequent citings of classic research.
:
:Thanks.
:
:Sean Sullivan
:ssulliva at opal.tufts.edu

Here we use Principles of Neural Science by Kandel, Schwartz, and Jessell
(we're using the third edition, which I think is the latest.) It fits the
description that you requested very nicely indeed. It cites a lot of
classical research, and is very clear and very thorough. The diagrams are
neat and precise, and the text is well structured and complete. The class
that we use it for is Biology 320 for undergraduates, and the same class
is Bio 720 for graduate students; I think that the book is very suitable
for both undergraduates having a first time exposure to real neurobology
and for graduate students relearning and further exploring the principles
of the discipline.

                                           ---Ashish Ranpura
                                              Yale University