mental retardation/neuro connections

x011 at ns2.CC.Lehigh.EDU x011 at ns2.CC.Lehigh.EDU
Fri Oct 28 21:17:42 EST 1994

In article <38r9qf$h7n at news.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>, heinz at jersey.meb.uni-bonn.de (Hei
nz Beck) writes:
>Given the large variety of central nervous system pathology that can lead
>to mental dysfunction I do not believe there is a single answer to this
>question. Dysfunction of transmitter szstems or altered connectivity will
>probably affect intellectual function.
>
>For example, migration disorders in cortical regions can lead to mental
>retardation, recurrent seizures, etc. maybe due to altered connectivity
>between dystopic neurons and cortical neurons. Altered connectivity has also
>been implied in psychiatric disorders like schizophrenia (I remember an
>article by Conrad and Scheibel a few years ago).
>
>On the other hand, sheer neuron mass is probably not the only determinant of
>intellectual functioning since we have some experience with hemispherectomies
>performed for rasmussens encephalitis. Most of these children do quite well
>postoperatively and can sometimes attend normal schools in spite of more
>functions having to `share` less neurons. This happens only if the children
>are young enough, presumably the CNS can show more plasticity and adapt to
>decreased neuronal mass.
>
>With regard to the anxiety you would similarly probably have to discriminate
>between patients with different pathophysiology. Anxiety might be related
>to disturbances in neurotransmitter systems, i.e. noradrenaline, serotonin
>which a clinical neuropharmacologist dealing with anxiety disorders could
>tell you all about. I would agree completely with Kevin`s posting on this count
.

>Greetings, Heinz

Since people with significant cognitive skills show low neuro activity
according to pet scan and retarded people show high rates of neuro
acitivity, I was wondering if the problem was in LTP, back propagation,
theta wave production, or the reported 40 hertz cycle reported by
Singer.  Did the neuro tissue suggest any unexpected differences from
the control group?  Ron Blue