Basic reference for auditory cortex

Steven M. Boker smb3u at kiptron.psyc.virginia.edu
Sat Oct 29 12:09:11 EST 1994

In article <389jtv$nvm at riscsm.scripps.edu> Susan Koester <Koester at sc2.salk.edu> writes:
>In article <3864bh$rht at muller.loria.fr> Stephane Durand, durand at loria.fr
>writes:
>> Our work is to design neuromimetic architecture for speech recognition
>with
>> computer. To achive our goal, we take inspiration in neurobiological
>> data. It seems that cortex is organized with different areas each of
>> them having a particular fonctionality. For instance, the primary area
>> of visual cortex extracts visual features such as orientations.
>> Regarding the auditory cortex, at the lower level, I believe we can
>find
>> tonotopically organized maps. What kind of maps can we find at a upper
>level?
>> Or, how can the word level be represented?
>> Does it exist an organized area coding words (or syllables, phonemes)?
>
>Steve Peterson, Mark Raichle and colleagues have done some related work
>on word recognition, mostly in visual but also in auditory cortex, I
>believe.

Here's a reading list to keep you busy for a while.

The historical starting point is definitely

@ARTICLE{Woolsey42a,
	AUTHOR = {Woolsey, C. N. and Walzl, E. M.},
	TITLE = {Topical projection of nerve fibers from local regions of
	the cochlea to the cerebral cortex of the cat},
	JOURNAL = {Bulletin of Johns Hopkins Hospital},
	VOLUME = {71},
	PAGES = {315--344},
	YEAR = {1942}
}

The best general introductory book I know of is:

@BOOK{Buser92a,
	AUTHOR = {Buser, P. and Imbert, M.},
	TITLE = {Audition},
	PUBLISHER = {MIT Press},
	ADDRESS = {Cambridge, MA},
	YEAR = {1992}
}

I would also recommend the two survey chapters:

@INCOLLECTION{Brugge85a,
	AUTHOR = {Brugge, J. F. and Reale, R. A.},
	TITLE =  {Auditory Cortex},
	BOOKTITLE = {Cerebral Cortex, vol. 4, Association and auditory cortices},
	EDITOR = {Peters, A. and Jones, E. G.},
	PUBLISHER = {Plenum Press},
	ADDRESS = {New York},
	YEAR = {1985}
}

@INCOLLECTION{Seldon85a,
	AUTHOR = {Seldon, H. L.},
	TITLE =  {The anatomy of speech perception: Human auditory cortex},
	BOOKTITLE = {Cerebral Cortex, vol. 4, Association and auditory cortices},
	EDITOR = {Peters, A. and Jones, E. G.},
	PUBLISHER = {Plenum Press},
	ADDRESS = {New York},
	YEAR = {1985}
}

Cortical organization articles you should probably see:

@ARTICLE{Reale80a,
	AUTHOR = {Reale, R. A. and Imig, T. J.},
	TITLE = {Tonotopic organization in auditory cortex of the cat},
	JOURNAL = {Journal of Comparative Neurology},
	VOLUME = {192},
	PAGES = {265--291},
	YEAR = {1980}
}

@ARTICLE{Imig80a,
	AUTHOR = {Imig, T. J. and Reale, R. A.},
	TITLE = {Patterns of cortico--cortico connections related to
	tonotopic maps in cat auditory cortex},
	JOURNAL = {Journal of Comparative Neurology},
	VOLUME = {192},
	PAGES = {293--332},
	YEAR = {1980}
}

@ARTICLE{Merzenich75a,
	AUTHOR = {Merzenich, M. M. and Knight, P. L. and Roth, G. L.},
	TITLE = {Representation of cochlea within primary auditory cortex in
	the cat},
	JOURNAL = {Journal of Neurophysiology},
	VOLUME = {38},
	PAGES = {231--249},
	YEAR = {1975}
}

@INCOLLECTION{Merzenich84a,
	AUTHOR = {Merzenich, M. M. and Jenkins, W. N. and Middlebrooks, J. C.},
	TITLE = {Observations and and hypotheses on special organizational features of the central auditory nervous system},
	BOOKTITLE = {Dynamic aspects of neocortical function},
	EDITOR = {Edelman, G. M. and Gall, W. E. and Cowan, W. M.},
	PUBLISHER = {Wiley},
	ADDRESS = {New York},
	PAGES = {397--424},
	YEAR = {1984}
}

@ARTICLE{Middlebrooks81a,
	AUTHOR = {Middlebrooks, J. C. and Pettigres, J. D.},
	TITLE = {Functional classes of neurons in primary auditory cortex of the cat distinguished by sensitivity to sound localization},
	JOURNAL = {Journal of Neuroscience},
	VOLUME = {1},
	PAGES = {107--120},
	YEAR = {1981}
}

@ARTICLE{Recanzone93a,
	AUTHOR = {Recanzone, G. H. and Schreiner, C. E. and Merzenich, M. M.},
	TITLE = {Plasticity in the frequency representation of primary auditory cortex following discrimination training in adult owl monkeys},
	JOURNAL = {The Journal of Neuroscience},
	VOLUME = {13},
	PAGES = {87--103},
	YEAR = {1993}
}

@ARTICLE{Rouiller91a,
	AUTHOR = {Rouiller, E. M. and Simm, G. M. and Villa, A. E. P. and Deribaupierre, Y. and Deribaupierre, F.},
	TITLE = {Auditory corticocortical interconnections in the cat: evidence for parallel and hierarchical arrangement of the auditory cortical areas},
	JOURNAL = {Experimental Brain Research},
	VOLUME = {86},
	PAGES = {483--505},
	YEAR = {1991}
}

For the limited work in man:

@ARTICLE{Lee84a,
	AUTHOR = {Lee,Y.S. and Lueders, H. and Dinner, D. S. and Lesser, R. P. and Hahn, J. and Klem, G.},
	TITLE = {Recording of auditory evoked potentials in man using chronic subdural electrodes},
	JOURNAL = {Brain},
	VOLUME = {107},
	PAGES = {115--131},
	YEAR = {1984}
}

@ARTICLE{Celsia76a,
	AUTHOR = {Celsia, G. G.},
	TITLE = {Organization of auditory cortical areas in man},
	JOURNAL = {Brain},
	VOLUME = {99},
	PAGES = {403--414},
	YEAR = {1976}
}

@ARTICLE{Celsia68a,
	AUTHOR = {Celsia, G. G. and Broughton, R. J. and Rasmussen, T. and
	Branch, C.},
	TITLE = {Auditory evoked responses from the exposed human cortex},
	JOURNAL = {Electroencephalography and Clinical Neurophysiology},
	VOLUME = {24},
	PAGES = {458--466},
	YEAR = {1968}
}

@ARTICLE{Hari90a,
	AUTHOR = {Hari, Riitta},
	TITLE = {The neuromagnetic method in the study of the human auditory cortex},
	JOURNAL = {Advances in audiology},
	VOLUME = {6},
	PAGES = {222--282},
	YEAR = {1990}