block at watson.princeton.edu block at watson.princeton.edu
Thu Sep 8 11:09:28 EST 1994

Help on English -- see below.

In article <belin-070994161359 at anapat1.univ-lyon1.fr>,
<belin at cimacpcu.univ-lyon1.fr> writes:
> From: belin at cimacpcu.univ-lyon1.fr (CJF 90/10 INSERM)
> Newsgroups: bionet.neuroscience
> Subject: >>>>Need English language help!<<<<
> Date: Wed, 07 Sep 1994 16:13:59 +0000
>
> Hello everybody.

Roger -- since you asked:

What follows is not a joke.

> What's following is not a joke...I'm writing a paper, and because my

Capitalize the 'E' in "English".

> english is rather poor I've got a little problem.

It's more colloquial to say, "I have a small problem."

> Here my problem :

Here is my problem:  (add verb).

> " (...) were detected as early as the twentieth day of gestation in rat
> embryo before any nerve ending        is/are      observed in the pineal
> gland."
>
> Thank you very much for your help.

Mon cher Roger:

    1)  "were detected ... in rat embryos ..."    (note use of plural).

    2)  "before any nerve endings... (again, use plural)
         "were observed in the pineal..." (note use of past tense,
             to agree with the past tense used at the start ("were
             detected...").

Question:  "before any nerve endings were observed..."  is rather ambiguous
            and could probably be made more specific.

Perhaps something like "before any nerve endings were observed to form..."
           or "before any nerve endings could be detected by light
           (or electron?) microscopy...", etc. would be better?

> Bye
> Roger

Steven M. Block
Assoc. Prof., Princeton Molecular Biology
<block at watson.princeton.edu>