Computer Brain Software

J. A. Kiernan jkiernan at julian.uwo.ca
Fri Sep 23 09:18:17 EST 1994

In article <35sfnv$l39 at hermes.unt.edu> it45 at sol.acs.unt.edu (Baggett Tracey Michael) writes:
>From: it45 at sol.acs.unt.edu (Baggett Tracey Michael)
>Subject: Computer Brain Software
>Date: 22 Sep 1994 17:43:27 GMT

>I am looking for any software available via ftp (shareware, demos -
>whatever) that have graphics of the brain and would be useful to someone
>taking a neuroscience course.  I don't want to shell out cash for
>something until I have seen what is out there.  I have heard of something
>called Brainiac, but have not been able to find info on it.  Any help
>would be appreciated.  Thanks.

>Michael Baggett

Reply (from John Kiernan, Anatomy Dept., Univ. of Western Ontario) -

   Brainiac is a Windows program. I've not tried it, but
   the adverts make it seem attractive.  You might like to
   try NEUROTUT (= NRO + NQI) (by me), which works under
   ordinary DOS. The archive file fits on one 360 KB floppy
   disk. The graphics in NRO are strictly diagrams, though
   some of them move a bit.
     Of the few fancy graphics programs I've seen for learning
   Neuroanatomy, none approaches even the the simplest printed
   atlas for amount of information or ease of cross-reference.

  NEUROTUT.EXE (357528 bytes)
  is a self-extracting LHA archive that
  installs the program files.

  NRO  Human Neuroscience Tutorial, Version
   1.05 (May 1994).  When installed on a hard
   disk (needs 582 KB) it provides eight
   Neuroanatomy tutorials and (as a ninth
   "tutorial") over 300 revision questions
   that cover the whole of Human Neuroscience.
   The questions can also be run separately
   with NQI.EXE, from the DOS prompt.
   A color monitor is very desirable but not
   essential. By John A. Kiernan, Department of
   Anatomy, The University of Western Ontario,
   London, Canada.

 NEUROTUT is available from at least two medical shareware FTP sites:
   1. University of Texas, Houston Medical shareware
         anonymous FTP:
                         dean.med.uth.tmc.edu
         If you can't find it, write to:  sfath at thesisa.med.uth.tmc.edu
   2. Medical Education Shareware, Univ. of California, Irvine
         anonymous FTP:
                         FTP.UCI.EDU
         If necessary, write to:  sclancy at uci.edu
   These are both accessible with Gopher.
   The program is also available from:  Knowledge Transfer BBS,
                                        P.O. Box 11282,
                                        Spring, Texas 77391-1282
                                          Sysop : Bob Wight
                                          (713) 370-5804
                                          24hrs  14,400 N81
                                          FAX/Voice (713) 251-7517
   Should you have difficulty, let me know. I can append the file
   to an email message.

   If you try NEUROTUT please let me know what you think of it.

                                     John A. Kiernan
                                     Department of Anatomy
                                     Univ. of Western Ontario
                                     LONDON, Canada  N6A 5C1