Female Rat Sexual Behavior and Estrogen Capsules

Bill Struthers U60376 at uicvm.uic.edu
Thu Sep 22 09:24:20 EST 1994

I'm looking for any information on the effectiveness of implanting estrogen
capsules subcutaneously in OVX female rats.  I am currently using Estradiol
benzoate dissolved in sesame oil at 10ug/.2ml injected sc at 53 and 24 hours
prior to sexual testing (along with 1mg progesterone 5hrs prior to testing).
The effectiveness (and inconvenience) of this regimen is very inconsistent.
I usually have about a 75% receptivity rate.  My question is; Is implantation
of Estrogen capsules, providing a constant supply of free released Estrogen,
followed by progesterone injections, effective in producing sexual receptivity
and how reliable is this regimen?
Thanks for any help.
Bill Struthers
u60376 at uicvm.uic.edu