Questions about GABA.

Gaumond Pierre gaumondp at ERE.UMontreal.CA
Thu Sep 29 21:32:36 EST 1994

I heard about a substance called GABA (gamma amino butyric acid). It is said
that this substance is a natural transmitter inhibitor. It is also sold by some
laboratories as an anti-anxiety drug.

According to my informatins, it reduces electric activity in the brain.

I would like to know what may increase electric activity in the brain. Does
anxiety increases it Does relaxation or sleep reduces it?
and panic attack do it?

Are there specific foods or types of diets that will increase GABA synthesis?

Is it desirable that someone having anxiety takes GABA instead of anti-anxiety
drugs (such as Xanax)?

Thanks for any information.