AgCl coating. Please explain black vs gray coating

Trent A. Basarsky TRENT_B at molebio.iastate.edu
Fri Sep 30 18:33:24 EST 1994

Hello,

After doing electrophysiology for quite a few years, I was asked a
fundamental question that I realized I could not answer.

When you AgCl a Ag wire for electrophysiolgy, I have been taught that a
black coating is desirable.  When I coat my wires I constantly reverse the
polarity of the wire being coated, and it alternates between a gray andblack
coating.  I take the wire out after leaving it in the black coating phase for
a while.

My question is:  What is the difference between the gray and black coating?
I get the gray coating when my wire is postive, thus I presume the
Cl- is being plated on.  Why is the black coat desirable?

For your info I AgCl my wires in weak HCL using a 1.5 V D battery with a
polarity switch on it.

Thanks for any info, e-mail preferred.

Trent

Trent A. Basarsky			tab at iastate.edu