Evolution of giant axons.

Rebecca Jane Hoskins rjh at st-andrews.ac.uk
Sat Apr 1 11:41:46 EST 1995

I am looking for information on the evolution of giant nerve fibres.
If anybody has any bright ideas as to evolutionary processes behind the
development of giant axons (in anything from coelenterates through to
vertebrates) them please let me know.
G. O. Mackie suggested three possible ways in which giant axons could
have evolved in cnidarians:-
1) by endomeitotic polyploidy
2) by modification of an epithelial cell to to form an axon-like structure
3) by fusion of closely associated axons to form a syncytial arrangement
If anyone has any comments on these theories, or any theories on the
evolution of giant fibres in arthropods, molluscs and vertebrates then
I would be very interested to hear from them.

Rebecca Hoskins

(Undergraduate at the
University of St Andrews)