arcuate fasciculus question

ljh at yellow.cc.utexas.edu ljh at yellow.cc.utexas.edu
Sun Apr 2 13:24:38 EST 1995

Last week in the course of a discussion of myelination, my adviser
brought up a very puzzling question. In CT scans or MRI's of patients
who have had lesions of the arcuate fasciculus, no matter how severe
the lesion, there is no apparent die-back of axons separated by the
lesion from their cell bodies. Is this in fact the case, or is there
die-back which does not show up on the scans? If the axons are in
fact being maintained, how are they being maintained, and of what
functional utility are they? If anyone knows of any research regarding
these questions, I would be most appreciative.
  Lisa J. Harris
  Doctoral Student, Speech Pathology