possible new way to model neural nets?

Mon Apr 3 14:39:18 EST 1995

Dear Eli,
What kind of propagating waves do you have in mind? We've found a set of
solitary waves in one to one correspondence with steps of determination
in amphibian embryos, up to neural tube closure, that may be implicated
in further regionalization of the CNS (see below). We speculate that
wave-wave interactions may be responsible for the independence of
development on temperature: one wave must finish and perhaps set up the
conditions necessary to initiate the next.
Best regards, -Dick Gordon[Apr3,95]

Dear Colleague:

I am finishing a book about the intersection of three major fields of
biology:

Gordon, R. (1995). The Hierarchical Genome and Differentiation Waves:
Novel Unification of Development, Genetics, and Evolution  (Singapore:
World Scientific), in prep.

If your work might be relevant to this review, I would appreciate reprints
or preprints as soon as possible, or an update, if I've been in contact
with you previously.

Thanks for your help. Please be sure to send your e-mail address,
in case I have any questions.

Best regards, -Dick Gordon

Please mail to:

Dr. Richard Gordon, Department of Radiology
University of Manitoba, ON104, Health Sciences Centre
820 Sherbrook Street
Winnipeg,  Manitoba,  Canada R3A 1R9

E-mail: GordonR at cc.UManitoba.ca   Fax: (204) 783-8565

If you are curious, condensed accounts are given in:

Gordon, R. & G.W. Brodland (1987). The cytoskeletal mechanics of brain
morphogenesis: cell state splitters cause primary neural induction. Cell
Biophysics 11,  177-238.

Gordon, R. (1993). The fractal physics of biological evolution. In:
Beysens, D., N. Boccara & G. Forgacs, eds. Dynamical Phenomena at
Interfaces, Surfaces and Membranes. Commack, N.Y.: NOVA Science
Publishers, 99-111.

Bjorklund, N. K. & R. Gordon (1993). Nuclear state splitting: a working
model for the mechanochemical coupling of differentiation waves to master
genes (with an Addendum). Russian J. Dev. Biol.  24(2), 79-95.

Gordon, R., N. K. Bjorklund & P. D. Nieuwkoop (1994). Dialogue on
embryonic induction and differentiation waves. Int. Rev. Cytol. 150, 373-420.

Bjorklund, N. K. & R. Gordon (1994). Surface contraction and expansion
waves correlated with differentiation in axolotl embryos. I. Prolegomenon
and differentiation during the plunge through the blastopore, as shown by
the fate map. Computers & Chemistry  18(3), 333-345.

Martin, C.C. & R. Gordon (1995). Differentiation trees, a junk DNA
molecular clock, and the evolution of neoteny in salamanders. J. Evol.
Biol.  8, in press.

PLEASE FORWARD THIS TO POTENTIALLY INTERESTED COLLEAGUES. THANKS!