brain tumor-in baltimore

ABTA abta at aol.com
Tue Apr 4 08:58:54 EST 1995

Emily:

You and your mom are going through a rough time right now.  Although I
don't know that much about your mom's case, perhaps other brain tumor
patients and their family members will be able to help you.  There are a
couple of resources available for you, which are outlined below.

American Brain Tumor Association
2720 River Road  Sutie 146
Des Plaines, IL  60018
800-886-2282<--patient/family line
708-827-9910
ABTA at aol.com

We have a wide range of patient education materials that we can snail mail
you if you either call or e-mail us back.  We need to know the type of
tumor your mom has and the treatments other than surgery that she has
received.  Ask specifically for the Coping series of publications.  It
will help you.  Also ask for our Baltimore area support group listing.

We have a Brain Tumor Symposium coming up in Chicago June 9-11, 1995.
Some very respected scientists will be in attendance sharing their
knowledge.  There will be some time built in for small group discussions
on topics.  Ask for a registration kit.

There is also a Brain Tumor Discussion list on the internet called
BRAINTMR.  Directions for subscribing are below.

BRAINTMR: The Brain Tumor Discussion List

List Title: BRAINTMR: The Brain Tumor Discussion List
List Owner or Contact: Samantha Scolamiero, samajane at athena.mit.edu

body of the message, type SUBSCRIBE BRAINTMR followed by your real name.
For
example, SUBSCRIBE BRAINTMR Jane Q. User.

To unsubscribe from this list, send the command UNSUBSCRIBE BRAINTMR in
e-mail to LISTSERV at mitvma.mit.edu.

Send all other list-related commands to LISTSERV at mitvma.mit.edu. For
assistance, send the command HELP.

Send all articles to BRAINTMR at mitvma.mit.edu.

This mailing list is "moderated"; that means that one or more human beings
monitors the flow of the list traffic and makes an effort to keep
conversations topical. While virtually all lists have a set number of
topics
to which conversations should apply, moderated lists are more strict in
their
interpretations of the guidelines. To be a good member of a moderated
list,
do not go outside the topics of the list without first okaying it with the
moderator(s).

The BRAINTMR list is a forum to discuss topics related to all types of
brain
tumors whether benign or malignant. Hopefully, information and experiences
will be shared among brain tumor patients, their families and supporters,
all
kinds of concerned medical professionals, medical educators, and
researchers
who study brain tumor growth or treatment. BRAINTMR is open to all and is
moderated by the listowner, not edited.

Here are just a few examples of how BRAINTMR could be used:

  *  For patients and families dealing with the same tumor type to "meet"

  *  To find out WHO is doing WHAT brain tumor research

  *  To address emotional aspects of patients' brain tumor treatment

  *  To discuss the impact of brain tumors on individuals, society and the
practice of medicine

  *  To discuss other intracranial malformations (such as the AVM)

BRAINTMR will be as interesting and helpful as its participants. I hope
many
will generously offer their expertise and experiences to provide
information
and support.

AMERICAN BRAIN TUMOR ASSOCIATION
2720 RIVER ROAD  SUITE 146