HVC/song control nuclei in Birds - Thesis help needed

Hannah Dvorak DvorakH at starbase1.caltech.edu
Thu Apr 6 20:24:15 EST 1995

In article <XtdWlGJ2tKMI072yn at cnct.com>, albe at cnct.com (Alan Fried) wrote:

> > Dear James - i am afraid you are missing the point.
> >
> > A Ph.D. (one hopes) means that you can think these things out for yourself.
> > At least in my department, you must prove that before you get one.
> >
> > Sorry to be so frank - but your posting is pathetic.
>
> I am afraid you are missing the point. The guy is only asking for help
> for literature review not to make a thesis. I see nothing wrong with
> that. You can't fault somebody for asking for help. As a matter of fact
> this guy needs to be praised for having the guts to ask for it.
>
> Are you going for your Ph.D? Let me tell you something its a lot tougher
> than getting a masters thesis. I know through my own experience. Give
> the guy a break.
>
> Sorry to be so frank - but your posting is cruel and inhumane.

I include James Major's original post, and Colleen Specht's response,
below, because nowhere does Mr. Major state that he's only looking for
literature review ideas.  His original post really makes it sound like he
wants someone to give him a research idea.  So Alan Fried's attack on Ms.
Specht is unwarranted.  However, calling someone else's post 'pathetic'
isn't very nice either.  Grad school's hard enough without attacks like
this!

--
Hannah Dvorak                           |
DvorakH at starbase1.caltech.edu           |