Could the dead hear and feel?

Brett Carswell carswell at acpub.duke.edu
Sun Apr 9 15:24:17 EST 1995

Charles Hokanson (Phnxbmed at ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: While the original question and content of the text seem more
: appropriate to a religious or philisophical mewsgroup, it does raise and
: interesting issue, That of the definition of death.  It has long been
: accepted that the clinical signs of death are lack of vital signs, ie.
: heart beat and brian wave activity.  And that in the absense of these
: for some length of time, cell and tissue death occur.  It had been
: thought that this process occurs rather rapidly (minutes).  However,
: this process can be slowed (or stopped?) by substantially reducing the
: temerature of the body.

: A recent TV program showed a surgical procedure in which the heart and
: brainwave activity of a patient were totally stopped for one hour.  Half
: of the blood was removed from the body to reduce the pressure of a very
: large brain aneurysm.  Once the aneurysm had been deflated, it was
: clamped off.  The temperature of the patient was gradually increased,
: and the vital signs were all restored.  Apparently, thousands of similar
: procedures have been performed in Russia for many years, utilizing
: hypothermia techniques.

: Therefore, back to the original question, Can the dead hear or feel? It
: would seem to depend on your definition of death.  The woman who
: underwent the procedure neither heard nor felt while she was "dead' by
: normal clinical standards.  And the absence of brain wave activity would
: seem to indicate that she did not think either.  However subsequently
: she lived.

: It would seem therefore that a definition of clinical death would have
: to include a refernce to cell, tissue and organ death, such that when
: sufficient cell, tissue and organ death has occured, the host organism,
: human in this case, can not be restored to life.

: As to the many reported cases of, out of "body experiences" and "white
: light experiences" of people who presumably died and then supposedly
: come back to life, there is sufficient scientific evidence to debunk
: this nonsense as nothing more than lack of oxygen, and/or reaction to
: anestheic gases.

: Finally, as to the religious answer, I don't know what other religions
: teach, however since you mentioned a catholic, and presumably
: judeo-christian perspective, I refer you to Ecclesiastes Chapter 9
: Verses 5 and 6:

:  " For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing at
: all.  They have no further reward and even the memory of them is
: forgotten.  Their love, their hate, their jealousy have long since
: vanished; never again will they have a part in anything that happens
: under the sun."

: and Job 19: 25,26 :

: "I know that my redeemer lives and that in the end he will stand upon
: the earth. And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I will
: see God."

: CH