Syringomyelia information

James Little jwl128 at u.washington.edu
Sun Apr 9 23:52:26 EST 1995

I missed the initial request for information on Syringomyelia, but saw the
reply by Sarah Santitoro.  My colleagues and I are studying
syringomyelia, particularly post-traumatic syringomyelia.  Magnetic
resonance imaging (MRI) is very sensitive for diagnosing syringomyelia,
but it is insensitive for monitoring serial change.  We are exploring
alternative methods for monitoring syringomyelia.  We are concerned that
shunting fails in some patients over a period of years, though they may
experience initial benefit.  I would be interested in communicating with
those who have syringomyelia and those who are researching this illness.
							J. W. Little