species recognition

x011 at Lehigh.EDU x011 at Lehigh.EDU
Mon Apr 10 07:47:14 EST 1995

In article <3ma7ct$7t3 at scooby.beloit.edu>, guffeyp at scooby.beloit.edu (Paris Guff
ey) writes:
>rmallott (rmallott at percep.demon.co.uk) wrote:
>: What is known about the neural systems that
>: allow a member of a species to recognize fellow-
>: members of the species? and more specifically
>: to recognize members of the species of the
>: opposite sex? Is this pre-wired or the result
>: of imprinting (Lorenz and geese) or a mix of both?
>
>: Robin Allott    email:  rmallott at percep.demon.co.uk
>
>I read an article a while ago about this issue.  I don't know the name fo
>the article where it was found in, though.  It was about peacocks, and it
>was very interesting to me.
>
>What researchers found is that there is a certain area of the peacock brain
>that is very resonsive to the patterns of a male peacock's tail plumage.  I
>don't know how they did it, but it suggests that there is indeed a
>biological basis for species recognition (maybe in addition to a learned
>response).
>
>--
>Paris Guffey
>guffeyp at stu.beloit.edu

The important thing about the research which I believe was done at
the Universtity of Texas at Austin is that it demonstrastes very
eliborate neural processing in the peacock.  Guppies with red dots
also use similar procedures for sexual preference.  The fractal equations
for guppies and peacock patterns would probably suggest a strong bias for
the average or above average pattern being selected as a symbol of
beauty.  If supported by research this visual stimulation may
represent a neural harmonic of all male examples.  Similar research has
been observed with humans.  This suggest a basic neural processing
model.  I call it correlational opponent-processing.  If you need
a copy of the 78k file let me know.  Ron Blue x011 at lehigh.edu