olfactory modeling

x011 at Lehigh.EDU x011 at Lehigh.EDU
Mon Apr 10 07:32:19 EST 1995

In article <143091 at BoysTown.ORG>, NUDING at BoysTown.ORG ("Sarah C. Nuding") writes
:
>        Dr Clayton mentioned the book edited by Finger and Siver, it's called
>Neurobiology of Taste and Smell, put out by John Wiley and Sons, 1987.  (I'm
>speaking up because he forgot about the Taste field being included too - a
>subject near and dear to my thesis work!)
>        Another good text to check into would be one by Gordon Shepherd - I
>thought he wrote one which concentrated mostly on olfaction - not the popular
>Neurobiology text ... Oh well, that one is in MY office ...
>
>!@#$%^&*()_+_)(*&^%$#@!@#$%^&*()_+_)(*&^%$#@!@#$%^&*()_+|
>
>Sarah C. Nuding, Ph.D.
>Boys Town National Research Hospital,
>555 North 30th St., Omaha,  NE  68131
>402-498-6306, 6585 (voice)  6351 (fax)
>nuding at boystown.org  (internet)
>
>|+_)(*&^%$#@!@#$%^&*()_+_)(*&^%$#@!@#$%^&*()_+_)(*&^%$#@!

A topic dear to your heart!  Are you interested in receiving a new model
that suggest answers for your field?  It is 78k long.  It has not been
peer reviewed.  You are the peer.  Bartoshuk found the model very interesting.
When she reported that sweets taste sweeter after 1/2 of the taste system
was knocked out, I told her she was observing opponent-process.  Her
face turned instantly into a huge smile, and said I believe you are right.
Ron Blue x011 at lehigh.edu

Abstract:

The correlational opponent-processing theory is a homeostasis
integration psychological immune theory that would connect phenomena
such as sensation, perception, habituation, memory, representations,
learning, cognition, personality, psychopathology, paradoxical
integration, emotion, and evolution of the mind under a unified theory.

Perception/learning/cognition may be viewed as an effort to assimilate
and accommodate all experience into neuro-energy-efficient quasi-
holographic correlational opponent-processing recordings.

Stimuli causes brain wave modulations which interact with carrier or
reference wavelets.  This interaction creates a quasi-holographic
stimulus wavelet.  The opponent-process creates an opposing quasi-
holographic memory wavelet.  Through this process the correlations or
associations of experience are encoded to memory.  Every wavelet,
regardless of source or type, triggers an opposing wavelet.  The
function of the opposing wavelet or feedback is to diminish the
intensity of neural processing.  A wavelet potential is stored or hard
wired as long-term potentiation opponent-processes in nerve cells and
the interconnections between nerve cells.  The wavelets are quasi-
holographic and allow recovery of information due to the interaction of
reference carrier wavelets and stimuli, thought, motor movement, and
emotional arousal.

Outline:
       Discussion
       Neuro Net
       Quasi-holographic wavelets
       Habituation/immunization
       Memory
       Representations, copies or models
       Learning/Cognition
       Personality
       Sensations and Perceptions
       Movement
       Emotion
       Evolution
       Tools
       Implications
       Conclusion and applications from COP theory
            Discorrelation
            Education
            Biophysical
            Intelligence