Nausea and vestibular dysfunction

x011 at Lehigh.EDU x011 at Lehigh.EDU
Tue Apr 11 07:43:33 EST 1995

In article <10APR95.21583693 at yellow.cc.utexas.edu>, ljh at yellow.cc.utexas.edu wri
tes:
>Any hypothesis as to why the dizziness significantly precedes the nausea
>in most humans who drink that much alcohol? Just wondering.
>  Lisa J. Harris

I am not knowledgeable in this area.  But if I had to guess, I would guess
that the opponent feedback loops are not synchronized causing the nerves to
to fire chaoticly or out of phase.  The thalamus recognizes the lack of
balance in firing rates which is interpreted as dizziness.  If the pattern
continues and the opponent circuits that block dizziness can not
succeed the results is interpreted as nausea.  Ron Blue