Syringomyelia information

Ben Inglis binglis at ufthm.health.ufl.edu
Tue Apr 11 08:48:39 EST 1995

In article 100000 at carson.u.washington.edu, James Little <jwl128 at u.washington.edu> writes:
>I missed the initial request for information on Syringomyelia, but saw the
>reply by Sarah Santitoro.  My colleagues and I are studying
>syringomyelia, particularly post-traumatic syringomyelia.  Magnetic
>resonance imaging (MRI) is very sensitive for diagnosing syringomyelia,
>but it is insensitive for monitoring serial change.  We are exploring
>alternative methods for monitoring syringomyelia.  We are concerned that
>shunting fails in some patients over a period of years, though they may
>experience initial benefit.  I would be interested in communicating with
>those who have syringomyelia and those who are researching this illness.

What do you mean by "serial change" and in what way is MRI insensitive to
it?  I've recently started a collaboration with U. Miami Project to Cure
Paralysis on this very subject (I'm doing the NMR, they're doing the biology)
and have some experience using NMR to study hydrocephalus, including shunts.
Hope you don't mind the cross posting - this could be an interesting thread.

Ben