GLIA SEPARATED FROM NEURONES

Jerry Clayton claytonj at essex.hsc.colorado.edu
Wed Apr 12 12:02:09 EST 1995

pdoyle at medsun.unige.ch (Patrick Doyle) wrote:

> I would really appreciate any advice on a good reliable method for the
> separation of neurones and glial (astrocyte) cells from adult rat brain -
> i.e.
> bulk preparation.I do not intend to culture the cells but require a good
> separation of the two.Anyone suggest starting refs, etc...Thanks PJD.

I might suggest the book edited by Shahar, Vellis, et.al called "A
Dissection and tissue culture manual of the nervous system" put out
by A.R.Liss Inc, New York.  Although this is a cell culture manual I
believe that one of the astrocyte protocols used a percol gradient
method of separation which may be helpful to you.  This book can
probably be found in your library as it seems to be a fairly common
reference.  Good luck!

Jerry Clayton, PhD
Dept. Neurology
University of Colorado Health Sciences Center
Denver, Colorado USA
claytonj at essex.hsc.colorado.edu