Rat SmI Cortex

JHewitt001 jhewitt001 at aol.com
Thu Apr 13 23:56:14 EST 1995

>>If anyone out there is doing any work, or is interested in the
>>somatotopic organization of the rat somatosensory cortex, (especially
the
>>facial and forepaw representation), I would be extremely pleased if you
could
>>email me.  If you emailed me earlier and waited for a response, I'm
sorry.
>>Furthermore, if anyone knows of any stains other than cytochrome oxidase
>>that can stain cortex for barrels in the adult rat, please let me know.

  Several stains, not necessarily specific for the barrel field
representation, will reveal the cytoarchitexture of the whisker and
forepaw representations.
NADPH-diaphorase staining is a easy procedure that will clearly reveal the
barrels  in the developing rat by postnatal day 5, slightly later than
that observed with the cytochrome oxidase staining. Also staining for some
lectins (peanut lectin) will reveal the barrels.