Opioid drugs +opioid peptides?

Sen Song lbsss at sunset.backbone.olemiss.edu
Mon Apr 17 13:58:32 EST 1995

jawad salam (jawad at salam.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: Hi,
: I am a finalist studying biochemistry in particular neurobiology.
: Could somebody please explain to me how opiate drugs and opiod peptides
: produce their narcotic and analgesic effects? Any information would be
: greatly appreciated. Thankyou.

One method is by binding to opioid receptors in periaqueductal grey region.
These cells are involved in pain regulation. They send axons back into
the spinal cord and inhibit the transmission of pain signals. I think the
neurotransmitter involved in that part is subP.
Hope this helps. I am no expert, don't know too much about it.
Sen