Syringomyelia information

Ben Inglis binglis at ufthm.health.ufl.edu
Mon Apr 17 17:17:26 EST 1995

In article 100000 at carson.u.washington.edu, James Little <jwl128 at u.washington.edu> writes:
>	MRI readily demonstrates cysts or syrinxes in the spinal cord but
>serial MRI does not readily distinguish cysts or syrinxes which are
>producing ongoing neurologic decline from those which are not producing
>ongoing neurologic decline.  Other neurophysiologic measures are needed
>to monitor the neurologic status of syringomyelia patients.

Have you considered diffusion weighted MRI or magnetization transfer contrast?
Preliminary indications (some recent literature, some recent data I've acquired)
are that one or both of these contrast mechanisms can provide much earlier
detection of demyelination, for example, than conventional (T1 and/or T2)
weighted sequences.  We are specifically gearing towards detecting Wallerian/
retrograde degeneration and quantifying spared white matter in an injury (or
syringomyelia).  Does this help?  Would you use MRI as a method of choice if
you could, e.g. for its non-invasiveness?

Ben